Friday, October 7, 2011

30 Days and Counting!

So as of  3 hours 40 minutes ago my month started! I guess I should explain that.
Today as I was doing nothing I got a call from my mom. I pretty much knew this call was not going to end well when it began like this.

"I do not want to fight. I am just making a suggestion"

Oh yeah this call is going to end with one of us angry with the other one!
So she goes on to tell me about this new "diet" she is on and how the ladies in the store who sold it to her have lost 140lbs since July. This came right after she told me that they guarantee you will lose a pound a day. Three ladies divided by 140 is roughly 46.7 pounds a piece in the past 3 months. Uh yeah that is half of the guarantee.
So any way she wants me to try this diet. I am already feeling dread from the opening line of this conversation and now the dread has turned into full blown agony.  She promises that she will pay the 32 dollars for the first months tablets. Oh did I forget to mention that? Yeah you have to put these tablets under your tongue so many times a day. So any how she offers to pay for them as she knew my first defense was I am not working and money is tight. I still said no because I am just not into fad diets. I instantly heard the anger in her voice. I was like Mom the first thing you said is, "I don't want to fight" and it sounds as if you are angry. To which she replies, "You make my heart hurt" after I gave her a full list of reasons that this plan was just not for me she decided she needed to get off the phone.
I then call my Grandma to inform her of what just went down and prepare her for moms state of mind. I did not get a chance to get 2 words out of my mouth before mom called Grandma herself. She switched back over and says, "she just wants you to try it, she is just concerned."  Again I have to explain why this plan is not for me and why I am not interested. Thankfully my Grandma is more understanding of my reluctance to introduce more chemicals into my already over medicated system.
Well during this conversation I receive a text from.... You guessed it MOM! "I will even pay for your food while you are on it!" Oh what to do now? She has reverted to text so she does not have to hear the frustration in my voice. So I decide there will be a compromise. I text back, "Tell ya what, I will start counting calories and walking again tomorrow and if by November 7 I am not down 30 pounds I will give you one cycle." This made her happy, and because I have no intention of actually doing a cycle of these tablets 30 pounds gone it is.

Which brings us back to the present and my 30 days.

When my husband gets home from work I plan to head for the doctors office and put myself on their scale. First I intend to stand against a while and subject myself to photos. BLECK! You have to understand that is like torture for me. I will also be taking measurements and posting it all right here in this blog.
Yep that's right all my dirty nasty secrets right out here for the world to see. After all the world has ridiculed me (and so many others like me) for my weight all these years it just seems fitting that they also get to hold me accountable as I am taking it off.


Let me give you some back ground data on me so that you can follow along easily in the next 30 days and the months to come.


I was born on September 20, 1980. I came into this world weighing 6lbs 3oz (to this day the smallest baby to be born into my family). I was an average toddler until I started going to a babysitter at around 3 years old. My mom thought she was great she was the Grandma type. The problem was she did not work all day like my mom and grandparents. She did not carry a sack lunch like they did she made full meals and I was forced to eat.  Then my mom and Grandparents came home and fixed a huge meal. Thinking I had been having light meals throughout the day they also made me eat. I was one overly fed little girl! Before you know it the pictures of this pretty thin toddler became pictures of a fat little girl.  My family started me on "Diet Center" then and I lost about a pound a week. Though still chubby I no longer looked like a sausage. Around age 6 I was a very sick little girl. I spent time in the hospital and for the first time in my memory was thin. As you can tell that did not last. Since then I have dieted and lost weight only to regain it and then some. In 2006 I married Prince Charming! In Jan of 2008 I had a blood clot in my lung they placed me in their bariatric suite as it was the only one that had a bed large enough to hold me. To my horror the bed was also a scale and I had ballooned to 450 lbs. We went back to North Carolina and 6 weeks later I was on a plane again coming home to be with my sister as she gave birth to her first child. Now don't get me wrong I love my husband and growing old with him was reason enough to live, but that baby boy gave life a meaning that I had never known. Suddenly I needed to be alive for another 18 years at least. On the trip back home I caught a glimpse of myself nude in a mirror in a hotel room. I was horrified! When I got to my house I started counting calories and swimming every night. In that next 3 months I lost 50 pounds. I felt great! That summer I find out I am diabetic. Fast forward to 2009 my Prince who also happens to be a Marine is deploying, and I am packing everything we own for the long drive back to Illinois alone. I decide that I am going to get the ball rolling on weight loss surgery while he is gone. I am fully approved and just waiting for his return to have the surgery. He comes home in July and is discharged from the Corps in August which means we have insurance till Feb. So I schedule my surgery November 24, 2009 I have my lap band placed. The best Christmas present of 2009? The ability to eat solid food. In Jan I got my first fill I was still feeling great. Feb the second fill just days before our insurance runs out.  March they can not seem to access my port, same in April, so in may the Surgeon himself gives it a go with the x ray machine. Yep its there, but for some reason we are unable to get the needle in.  Fast Forward to today, nearly 2 years post surgery and down only 35 pounds. 

30 Days and Counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment